Garnet Sand Blasting
Garnet, an industrial gem stone, is a type of sand blasting media used in both dry and wet sand blasting applications. Garnet has been nicknamed “the invisible media” because a little bit of it can go a long way. Garnet has a variety of benefits for use in sand blasting projects including:
- It is a very hard abrasive. This makes it a cost effective material to use because it has a long lifeline.
- Highly reclaimable. Garnet can be recycled multiple times, some sizes more than others.
- Environmentally friendly. Garnet blasting is often done on structures near bodies of water because it is not a contamination hazard. It is safe and non-toxic, possessing very low silica levels.
- Low dust residue. Because garnet is so dense, it generates almost no dust, making it a clean and fast blast media.
When to use Garnet Sand Blasting
Garnet blasting is used in a variety of different projects and comes in four different mesh sizes.
Common uses for garnet blasting are:
- Wood restoration. When deployed at a lower pressure, garnet actually bounces off surfaces instead of cutting into them. This makes it capable of removing dust, contaminants or crusts without damaging the integrity of the wood.
- Statue/Stone Building/Brick restoration.
- Industrial paint and coating removal.
- Coating preparation. Garnet leaves a profile that is almost completely devoid of embedments, troughs, or peaks left on the surface, making it ideal for priming surfaces before painting.
The Pro Blast Technology Way
Pro Blast Technology, Inc. – based in Keewatin, MN – has been serving Northern and Central Minnesota as well as Northeast Wisconsin for over 20 years. Pro Blast Technology offers a full suite of industrial services including abrasive blasting, polyurea, painting, and spray foam. Every project is different, so contact us today to talk to a trained representative about your needs and to receive a free quote!